Wednesday, March 10, 2021

March 1 Finally Time to Start Some Seeds

Well, this is my gardening blog ...... so here we go; had a really hard time rehydrating my Dutch Treat seed starter mix - finally poured hot water into bag and hand mixed - also added about 1/3 Pro-mix organic vegetable and herb mix


First up are onions - shallots and scallions - the rule is use only fresh seed, but I thought I'd give these two a go so see what sprouts (from 2019); after watching Charles Dowding I now like to sow my onion in groups of around 7 and transplant entire plug; these were placed on top of hot water heater with about 80 degrees heat until first sprouts show

Zebrune Shallots:


Red Beard scallion:

also time to start a few early lettuce:  Breen (a really tasty mini romaine), Amish Deer Tongue (an old favourite of mine) and Johnny's Salanova Red Sweet Crisp (very nice flavour last year with no bitterness) - lettuce does not like heat to germinate - so placed in kitchen window


No comments: