Monday, March 28, 2022

March 12 The Tomato Season Starts

Decided to start my tomatoes today ....... the list, as expected, has expanded somewhat from my February plan ...... switched out Raya Rey for this year and Frank's Italian was a no show

I sowed two of each seed apart from Lillians Yellow X Dwarf Specked Heart F2 to allow for selection of hopefully dwarf and potato leaf 


Here are the additions:

Dwarf Golden Gypsy:  noted as one of the best tasting Dwarfs - vigorous, rugose, potato leaf dwarf plants produce heavy yields of smooth, oblate, medium-yellow fruits with pale-yellow flesh;  originated with a cross made between 'Golden Dwarf Champion' and 'Elbe' 

Yasenichi Yabuchar?:  this was my saved seed from 2009 and the package simply said 'delicious' thought I'd give it another try; indet., regular leaf, red globes; not entirely sure of variety - could also be Tjutchev which I also grew that year ....

Blood Moon:  another one from Brad Gates - heavy producer, 8-12 oz, meaty, rich, and sweet;  cross of Pink Berkeley Tie Dye and Blue Beauty provides a mix of black and pink streaks and stripes

Brad's Atomic Grape:  decided I couldn't be without this one; elongated multi-coloured large cherries grow in clusters; lavender and purple striped when immature, turning to green, red / brown with anthocycnin blue stripes when fully ripe




No comments: