Monday, August 1, 2022

July 23 Garlic Harvest

 thought I'd check out one garlic and ended up digging them all ....... 


elephant garlic - lovely size this year

and a mix of Georgian Fire and Northern Quebec Porcelain ... a few smaller sizes, but I'm happy with the harvest;  however this is the first year my home garden garlic has shown rust ..... I read one should cut off the leaves to prevent contamination to the bulb ..... time will tell how well these cure;  currently resting in a cool dark storage shed

elephant garlic is immune to rust so no need to cut off green leaves - these will be left to dry off naturally
elephant garlic babies attached to large bulb

the flowers are from the elephant garlic - I use these as a dried display over the winter - although they do have somewhat of a garlic scent for a few months ... the smaller unopened scapes usually provide bulbils when dried


No comments: